Jobs at The Last Mile
We are training incarcerated individuals to become professional web developers. We work inside prisons. Our students are denied access to the Internet. While working inside prison has its obstacles, the drive and determination with which our students tackle their own challenges inspires us to do our best.
Current Open Positions:
Job Title: Classroom Facilitator
Work Location: California Institution for Women
Reports to: Program Director
Full-time hours: M – F, 7:30am – 3pm
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
The Classroom Facilitator works on-site with state prison inmates who are enrolled in the TLM software training program. This role combines teaching, mentoring and supervisory tasks to insure a positive and supportive learning environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
● Arrive at classroom location prior to arrival of students and open class for program use. Maintain all required prison security protocols, and secure the classroom at the end of each day. Maintain records of any student or equipment issues.
● Coordinate class instruction and curriculum. Facilitate class work and projects, and work with the participants to develop their skills in the designated program. Interface with the Last Mile Curriculum Development staff and volunteer instructors to resolve questions from the class and interpret the live instruction.
● Maintain regular contact with all students in order to evaluate class progress, and record relevant data in accordance with guidelines provided. Provide regular feedback to the Last Mile executive team in order to facilitate continuous course improvement, and to maintain standards of excellence.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Excellent communication skills including clear speaking and empathetic listening.
● Excellent situational awareness, and the ability to remain calm under stress and variable
● Confidence speaking to groups of various size, primarily in a teaching situation. Should be
comfortable sketching concepts and solutions on a whiteboard, and be able to distill complex
ideas into understandable components using analogous teaching methods.
● Should be comfortable taking random Q&A, and should know how to properly respond if unable
to give an immediate correct answer to a question.
● Maintain a positive and supportive attitude at all times. Provide honest and constructive feedback
and appropriate encouragement to students.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
● Preference given to those with experience working with incarcerated individuals, at-risk youth or
Work Environment :
● The work location for this role is on-site at California Institution for Women in Chino, CA.
● This position requires ‘brown card’ authorization for prison access which will require completion of on-site training (TBD based on specific prison schedule) and to provide documentation of a negative tuberculosis test. Employee is responsible at all times for following all procedures and precautions for working safely in a prison environment.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Start date is expected in July 2017