Jobs at The Last Mile
We are training incarcerated individuals to become professional web developers. We work inside prisons. Our students are denied access to the Internet. While working inside prison has its obstacles, the drive and determination with which our students tackle their own challenges inspires us to do our best.
Current Open Positions:
Location: Folsom Women’s Facility
Type: Full-Time, salary commensurate based on experience
The Classroom Facilitator works on-site with state prison inmates who are enrolled in the TLM software training program. This role combines teaching, mentoring and supervisory tasks to insure a positive and supportive learning environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Arrive at classroom location prior to arrival of students and open class for program Maintain all required prison security protocols, and secure the classroom at the end of each day. Maintain records of any student or equipment issues.
- Coordinate class instruction and Facilitate class work and projects, and work with the participants to develop their skills in the designated program. Interface with the Last Mile Curriculum Development staff and volunteer instructors to resolve questions from the class and interpret the live instruction.
- Maintain regular contact with all students in order to evaluate class progress, and record relevant data in accordance with guidelines Provide regular feedback to the Last Mile executive team in order to facilitate continuous course improvement, and to maintain standards of excellence.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills including clear speaking and empathetic
- Excellent situational awareness, and the ability to remain calm under stress and variable conditions.
- Confidence speaking to groups of various size, primarily in a teaching situation. Should be comfortable sketching concepts and solutions on a whiteboard, and be able to distill complex ideas into understandable components using analogous teaching
- Should be comfortable taking random Q&A, and should know how to properly respond if unable to give an immediate correct answer to a
- Maintain a positive and supportive attitude at all Provide honest and constructive feedback and appropriate encouragement to students.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Preference given to those with experience working with incarcerated individuals, at-risk youth or similar
The work location for this role is on-site at Folsom Women’s Facility in Folsom, CA.
This position requires ‘brown card’ authorization for prison access which will require completion of on-site training (TBD based on specific prison schedule) and to provide documentation of a negative tuberculosis test. Employee is responsible at all times for following all procedures and precautions for working safely in a prison environment.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Start date is expected in April 2017.