Job Title: Curriculum Director
Work Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Executive Director
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
We believe that having a job is the key to successful reentry and breaking the cycle of incarceration. A projected shortage of nearly 1 million software engineering jobs by 2020 means that these jobs skills will be in demand. Through in-prison software engineering training and continued mentorship post-release, The Last Mile bridges the gap between incarceration and freedom.
The Curriculum Director is responsible for ensuring TLM programs are providing the best possible curriculum to prepare students to be competitive in the job market. This role will provide leadership and direction for a growing team as TLM enters a period of exponential growth. Our current one year program for training full stack developers, is currently being provided through a Learning Management System to 6 facilities across California and Indiana.
The Curriculum Director will be responsible for identifying enhancements and changes to the current curriculum to ensure it incorporates the most in-demand skills by employers and the best teaching practices from our growing team of instructors. In addition, this role will expand our curriculum to provide additional training certifications that are in-demand in industry, including QA and IT certifications, UI/UX design, entrepreneurship, and other evolving areas. This role will work directly with classroom facilitators, students, and content partners.
Required Duties and Responsibilities:
- Excellent communication skills including clear speaking and empathetic listening
- Work closely with other TLM staff including the Director of Product, Director of Systems, Re-entry Technical Manager and LMS engineer to manage curriculum and develop enhancements and additions based on market changes
- Develop and contribute to our video instructional component, creating modules or sourcing volunteers/partners for topics based on your recommendations
- Prepare instructional documentation templates to communicate complex and technical information more easily
- Assess needs and provide recommendations on improving continuing education
- Create content and manage relationships with curriculum partners
- Develop, with support of Director of Product, enhancements to the curriculum and course materials to develop replicable, scalable LMS to respond to needs of incarcerated students.
- Develop frameworks for training and advocate for adoption
- Maintain a positive and supportive attitude at all times. Provide honest and constructive feedback and appropriate encouragement to students.
- Develop frameworks for tracking student metrics and success, revamp current assignments and final assessment
- Strong proficiency in at least one flavor of UNIX (Linux, BSD, Darwin).
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of HTML, CSS, jQuery, Node, react
- Tech industry and market knowledge
- Enhancing, updating, capturing curriculum best practices and deploying these finding to each of our locations
Nice to haves:
- Curriculum development experience.
- Python knowledge
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Teaching experience of any kind, developing assignments, projects
- Successful completion of a developer bootcamp OR a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Preference given to those with experience working with incarcerated individuals, at-risk youth or similar environment.
- This position will be primarily located in San Francisco, and will require visits to the TLM prison locations
- Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Start date is expected ASAP