Job Title : Director of Marketing and Communications
Job Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Work Location: 717 Market Street, Ste. 100
Reports to: Executive Director
Full time hours: F/T
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
The Last Mile, a non-profit based in San Francisco, is the first prison program in the US to provide in-prison software engineering training. the goal is to prepare students for employment as front-end
We believe that having a job is the key to successful reentry and breaking the cycle of incarceration. A projected shortage of nearly 1 million software engineering jobs by 2020 means that these jobs skills will be in demand. Through in-prison software engineering training and continued mentorship post-release, The Last Mile bridges the gap between incarceration and freedom.
The Director of Comm/Marketing will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate The Last Mile’s (TLM) mission. The Director of Communications will ensure that TLM is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within this diverse network, hiring partners, government partners and constituent base. The Director of Comm/Marketing leads all messaging of The Last Mile, TLM Works, and any subsequent TLM projects/program.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the communications plan across the network’s audiences in collaboration with TLM’s team and constituents, for both TLM and TLM Works
- Design ability to create marketing content
- Ensure that all TLM staff is knowledgeable of messaging and brand awareness, supervise dissemination of information
- Generate and manage all of TLM’s social media content and online presence
- Lead the generation of online content, franchise packaging that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and TLM’s website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, newsletters, and TLM’s and TLM Work’s website
- Manage all media and press contacts
- Manage speaking, media, and/or corporate engagements for TLM Returned Citizens and staff
- Manage relationships with Public Information Officers, Government media relations, local and national journalists/press.
The Last Mile is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has communications experience, covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Design ability, experience with Sketch, Canvas, Adobe Creative Cloud is preferred
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives