Jobs at The Last Mile
We are training incarcerated individuals to become professional web developers. We work inside prisons. Our students are denied access to the Internet. While working inside prison has its obstacles, the drive and determination with which our students tackle their own challenges inspires us to do our best.
PT Academic Support Representative
Job Title: PT Academic Support Representative
Work Location: San Francisco or remote (CA-based)
Reports to: Academic Support Manager
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
The Last Mile, a non-profit based in San Francisco, is the first prison program in the US to provide in-prison software engineering training. We believe that having a job is key to successful re-entry and breaking the cycle of incarceration, and our goal is to prepare students for employment as front-end developers and web designers post-release. Through in-prison software engineering training and continued education and mentorship post-release, The Last Mile bridges the gap between incarceration and freedom.
The Education Team at The Last Mile is searching for a knowledgeable and empathic Academic Support Representative to help us deliver instructional content and feedback to our students and classroom facilitators. You will support the Curriculum Team by assessing student work and providing individualized feedback, supporting students and facilitators with supplemental resources, and weighing in on opportunities to improve our program based on classroom feedback. You will be the first touchpoint for many of the participants in our program.
- Evaluate and provide individualized feedback on student work.
- Respond to student and classroom facilitator requests in a timely manner.
- Deliver instructional documentation templates to communicate complex and technical information easily.
- Collaborate closely with other TLM staff including the Curriculum Director, Director of Programs, Director of Education, and other Academic Support Representatives to manage and refine curriculum
- Use feedback from students and facilitators to provide recommendations for curricular updates and changes.
- Maintain a positive and supportive attitude at all times. Provide honest and constructive feedback and appropriate encouragement to students, facilitators, and colleagues.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Embrace challenges and adopt new responsibilities with creativity, initiative, and self-direction.
- Ability to adjust explanations of complex technical concepts using multiple analogies or images.
- Demonstrate comfort with adjusting work to evolving priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Believe that anyone can learn to code.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, MySQL, and/or MERN stack.
- Experience working with incarcerated individuals, at-risk youth, or similar populations.
- Teaching or software engineering experience.
- Strong communication skills with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
This position will be located in San Francisco or remotely in CA, and may include visits to the TLM prison locations.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com if you are interested.