Recently divorced and father of two children. I am the oldest of six children born to Mary Lynn Bell in Atlanta Georgia. As a Christian youth, I grew up under Martin Luther King Sr. as pastor, and served the congregation as an Altar Boy. I came to Santa Monica, California on Grey Hound bus alone and across country in the late 1950’s to live with my uncle and his wife.
As a freshman at Santa Monica High School, I participated in the Varsity Band as a snare drummer, left the band to join and letter on the football and track teams. Graduated high school in 1964. Became interested in Information Technology in 1966 and became Programmer Trainee in 1969. Enjoyed a progressive 28 year Information Technology career prior to incarceration in 1994.
- Graduated from Santa Monica High School 1964 with Associate of Arts Degree Business Data Processing
- Los Angeles Trade Technical Junior College 1969
- Bachelor of Arts in Management University of Redlands 1982
- Certificate of Completion Graduate Studies (Peter Drucker Executive & Masatoshi Graduate School Management Program) Claremont Graduate University 1990
- Completion of 18/32 units of Master of Arts Curriculum (Peter Drucker & Masatoshi Graduate School of Executive Management Program); Diploma in Christian Ministries, Golden Gate Theological Baptist Seminary 2011; Diploma in Biblical Studies Berkeley Institute of Biblical Archeology and Literature 2012.
- Maintain Christian fellowship and workshop with a local church
- Achieve financial independence and stable income to support family as a business owner
of a technology firm
- Provide technical training for those incarcerated, parolees, and ex-felons and offer employment as members of technical staff or staff consultants
- Complete remaining 14 units from Peter Drucker & Masatoshi Graduate School Curriculum for Master of Arts Degree at Claremont Graduate University.
What I Hope to Gain from The Last Mile:
Resources (business planning, capital acquisition skills, update: professional trends and innovations, management principles and practices for e-commerce and social media) that will allow continued research on business opportunity project begun in 2006 on the feasibility of establishing a technology firm. Ultimately, acquire financial backing to launch my own company based on current or new business idea upon release from prison.
Motivation for Participation/Expectations/Intentions
Personally observed the support and tremendous opportunity Demo Day provided to the founding members. This is evidence to me that the same is possible for me. Participation in this program will allow me to update my technological knowledge base and awareness to consumer needs.