Contractor Title: Technical Support Engineer – Accessibility
Job Location: San Quentin State Prison (San Quentin, CA 94964)
Reports to: Technical Manager
Full-time hours: 40 hrs/wk
The Last Mile has successfully implemented the first computer programming curriculum in a US prison. Our innovative approach to recidivism prevention combines web engineering and accessibility quality assurance education with reentry support.
Top students from Code.7370 at San Quentin that have demonstrated exceptional skill and ability are eligible to work in The Last Mile Works, the first web development shop inside a US prison. Our goal is to better prepare them for employment upon release by providing them with work experience, a professional portfolio, and familiarity with common workplace practices, toolings, and workflows.
TLM Works participants are exposed to real experiences such as interviewing for a job, meeting client expectations, time-budgeting, task management, peer-reviews, on-going professional development, weekly one-on-ones with a project manager, and social soft-skills in a team setting with peers and supervisors.
TLM Works program participants develop and ship software, WCAG 2.1 accessibility assessments, and services to paying clients while earning market comparable wages.
As a Technical Support Engineer, you will work with the TLM/TLMW technical staff to provide support in various roles that further advance TLM’s/ TLMW ’s brand and mission. The Technical Support Engineer works with management, marketing, technical staff and community/government partners to ensure client retention and success. This position will also bring subject area expertise around Web Accessibility compliance to the engineering team.
Professional. You will be working in a monitored and restricted correctional institution around program participants (inmates) between 7 am – 3 pm, M-Th, and in team meetings on Fridays in our San Francisco office location.
Years of experience: 2-7 years
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills including clear speaking and empathetic listening.
- Excellent situational awareness, and the ability to remain calm under stress and variable conditions.
- A solid understanding of the Google Chrome Developer Tools.
- Solid understanding of the Command Line Interface in a Linux environment.
- Experience conducting accessibility audits and remediation
- Familiarity with WCAG standards and evaluation protocols
- Should be comfortable taking random Q&A, and should know how to properly respond if unable to give an immediate correct answer to a question.
- Maintain a positive and supportive attitude at all times.
- Provide honest and constructive feedback and appropriate encouragement to TLM Works program participants.
- Familiarity with Google Apps, Teamwork, Gitlab, and Atlassian Jira / Confluence / Bitbucket.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Staff Developer Support (Primary Role)
- Provide on-site TLM Works program participants with technical support an assistance building client projects, with special emphasis on accessibility testing and remediation
- Provide research and materials from online resources to help TLM Works program participants understand key concepts.
- Provide technical support for TLM Works program participants during execution of client work and task assignments, seeking support from Technical Manager / Account Manager and / or the TLM Leadership, as necessary.
- Effectively monitor the expected learning process and timeframes versus excessive timeframe burn, leading to an early progress check-in or support activity(s).
- Collaborate with Technical Manager to track and asses the proficiency of individual TLM Works program participants.
- Contribute to the compilation of performance reviews for all TLM Works program participants, as necessary.
- Contribute to Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) for all TLM Works program participants, as necessary.
- Contribute ideas, feedback, and curriculum suggestions in order to facilitate continuous course improvement, and to maintain standards of excellence before-during-and-after TLM Works employment.
Product Development Support (Secondary Role)
- Participate in the process of planning, and monitoring the execution of assigned tasks course corrections (if any) of TLM Works client projects.