Job Title: Communications and Brand Manager
Work Location: San Francisco or remote
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
The Last Mile (TLM) is seeking a Communications and Brand Manager to raise awareness of our mission and impact as we work to provide growth opportunities for those incarcerated and returning home, breaking the cycle of incarceration in America. This role will collaborate with the Chief Program Officer and Executive Director on internal and external communications that highlight TLM’s impact. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is a proven and effective independent contributor with the potential to grow with the role, bringing fresh ideas and insights that consistently increase recognition of TLM and our work.
The right candidate is a natural storyteller who understands how to weave data, anecdotes, testimonials, and other information into compelling messaging and engaging content in different mediums. We’re looking for someone with experience across traditional PR, communications, and content who understands how to reach stakeholders from across the tech ecosystem, government and other partners, and our base of incarcerated people and returned citizens.
- Develop and execute communications and content plans that bring TLM’s stories to life for key audiences.
- Create and execute a content strategy that highlights TLM data, updates, and testimonials to showcase our mission and impact, using a variety of mediums (written, audio, video) across digital and social channels.
- Develop and manage relationships with key media targets for TLM; coordinate media, speaking, and corporate engagements for TLM returned citizens and staff; and liaise with media partner contacts including PIO, government media relations, and tech partners.
- Develop and manage TLM brand assets including key messaging, look and feel, and data and content libraries.
- Coordinate website updates, ensuring content is shared consistently and messaging is accurate and engaging.
- Conduct regular spokesperson training sessions to prepare staff and returned citizens to speak publicly on behalf of TLM; assist in the development of individual platforms for speakers.
- Track and measure the level of engagement with TLM’s key audiences across channels, producing a simple monthly dashboard or report for senior TLM leadership.
Specific requirements include:
- Four to six (4 – 6) years of experience working with PR, communications, or corporate or brand marketing at an agency or in-house (corporate, startup, government, or nonprofit organization)
- Experience pitching and placing local and national news, building trusted relationships with reporters, and developing compelling storylines and narratives
- Strong writing skills, from pithy short-form social copy to compelling long-form articles and blog posts
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- And (most important), a deep and sincere passion to highlight the experiences of incarcerated program participants and returned citizens working to build better futures for themselves and their families through TLM’s programs and partnerships.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com if you are interested.