Job Title : Business Development Manager
Work Location: San Francisco (TLM Office), Remote, San Quentin State Prison
Annual Salary: Commensurate, based on experience
The Last Mile has successfully implemented the first computer programming curriculum in a US prison. Our innovative approach to recidivism prevention combines web engineering and accessibility quality assurance education with reentry support.
Top students from Code.7370 at San Quentin that have demonstrated exceptional skill and ability are eligible to work in The Last Mile Works, the first web development shop inside a US prison. Our goal is to better prepare them for employment upon release by providing them with work experience, a professional portfolio, and familiarity with common workplace practices, toolings, and workflows. TLM Works participants are exposed to real experiences such as interviewing for a job, meeting client expectations, time-budgeting, task management, peer-reviews, ongoing professional development, weekly one-on-ones with a project manager, and social soft-skills in a team setting with peers and supervisors.
TLM Works program participants develop and ship software, WCAG 2.1 accessibility assessments, and services to paying clients while earning market comparable wages.
As the Business Development Manager for TLM Works, you will be the primary person responsible for client acquisition and retention and TLMW marketing and client relations while maintaining TLMW’s brand and mission. TLMW is a small and relatively young development shop, working in a nontraditional environment.
Our Business Development Manager is tasked with finding new clients through posting marketing materials online, attending events, in-market networking, etc. Explaining to prospective clients both the services we offer as well as the nature of The Last Mile and our developers is crucial to the success of this position. In addition to pursuing new leads and on-boarding new clients, the second primary responsibility for this role is liaising between the Web Development Manager and the clients, serving as a gateway of communication between current (and prospective) clients and the development team about the status of current work, change requests, etc.
This role presents the opportunity for leadership and growth within the department.
Professional. You will be working from the TLM office space in SOMA San Francisco on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and remotely for the rest of the week. Occasionally, you will be working in a monitored and restricted correctional institution around program participants (incarcerated developers). While working remotely, interactions will be done mostly via Google Hangouts or over the phone, but in person meetings and event attendance should be expected.
Years of experience: 1-3 years
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with and develop the current prospect database within specified business sectors to generate effective leads & exceed sales targets for the business
- Work closely with TLM Works clients to understand their product vision, and break it down into an actionable proposal for the development team
- Help clients understand our iterative development approach and unorthodox environment
- Work with design resources to ensure comprehensive delivery of designs and assets to the development team
- Create Bid proposals, Statements of Work, Professional Service Agreements and Invoices with each client
- Build partnerships with marketing/designers looking to outsource development support
- Work hands-on with the development team to prioritize, plan, and deliver software that meets client requirements
- Maintain a sales plan including cold-calling, direct marketing, and attending industry events to build relationships with key prospects
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales
- Respond to incoming Requests for Information (RFIs), Requests for Proposals (RFPs) in a professional and creative manner
- Arrange and participate in internal/external client debriefs
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- 1-3 years experience in web development (or related) sales and/or marketing
Preference given to those passionate about justice reform, workforce development, technology, and sales
- This position is typically conducted in an office setting (44 Tehama Street) or remotely. Frequent visits to San Quentin State Prison are also expected
- While working in a state correctional facility, employee is responsible at all times for following all procedures and precautions for working safely in a prison environment
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com if you are interested. Start date is expected ASAP.